The History of Franklin 107
On January 1, 1850, at a meeting of Master Masons of the Town of Franklin, a petition was signed to the Grand Lodge of Indiana for a dispensation to hold a Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons in the Town of Franklin. The dispensation was granted on January 16, 1850 by Elizur Deming, Grand Master. The first regular meeting of the new Lodge was held on January 29, 1850. A charter was granted to Franklin Lodge No. 107 on May 29, 1850, by the Grand Lodge of the State of Indiana of Free and Accepted Ancient York Masons.
Franklin Lodge No. 107 occupied rented quarters until January 1, 1869, when it occupied the new Masonic Temple erected the previous year as the third story of the Vawter Building (northwest corner of Jefferson and Water Streets).
In 1903, Franklin Lodge No. 107, purchased the third story of the Tanner Building, adjacent to the old quarters on the third story of the Vawter Building. The last meeting in this Temple was held on April 1, 1924.
On April 4, 1919, Franklin Lodge No. 107, purchased land at 135 North Main Street, as the location for a new Masonic Temple. Ground was broken for the new building on March 22, 1922, and following two years of construction work, the new Masonic Temple was dedicated on April 24, 1924. The last meeting was held in this Temple in December of 1987, and it now is the home of the Johnson County Historical Society.
Franklin Lodge No. 107, then met at Kresge Chapel at the Indiana Masonic Home from January 1988 until September of 1990.
In 1989, Franklin Lodge No. 107, purchased land at 801 South Main Street and a new Masonic Temple was erected and dedicated on September 29, 1990. On March 28, 2000, fire completely destroyed the Temple. Franklin Lodge No. 107 rebuilt a new Masonic Temple on the existing foundation which was proudly dedicated on September 29, 2001.
Franklin Lodge No. 107 conducted meetings from Jubilee Lodge No. 746 from April 2000 thru February 2001, at which time the new Temple was completed.